Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Masochist

New York magazine had a roundtable discussion of some of the early writers and editors of Ms magazine.

This exchange caught my eye. One woman said, "I threatened to leave over a manuscript by a woman who was a former editor of ours who was writing about why she was a masochist and trying to make it an okay choice. I would rather leave than work for a magazine that published that. And we didn't publish it.''

Another woman said, "Alice Walker wsa very much for publishing it. I remember she quoted Tennessee Williams in her editorial comment on the story: "Nothing human disgusts me.''

I thought it was interesting how times change. Back then Ms wouldn't publish an article about being a masochist -- although I think they did publish a letter from a woman saying she likes to be spanked -- and now Fifth Shades is mainstream.

By the way, did any of you read or like Ms back in the day?

FD

 
  

6 comments:

  1. Sorry never read the magazine but the story would have been interesting

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would have been interesting to read.

      FD

      Delete
  2. Never read that magazine as far as I can recall. Times are certainly changing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magazine was groundbreaking in its time at the beginning of the feminist movement.

      FD

      Delete
  3. I have not heard of the magazine, perhaps because its not published in the UK.

    Times are indeed changing and hopefully all for the better.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the UK didn't have a magazine like that. And, yes, times are changing and hopefully for the better.

      FD

      Delete