Monday, January 9, 2012

Relaxing

Last weekend was so hectic as I ended the holiday season with my daughter's wedding. This weekend, it was nice to relax.

And walked the beach, which I love to do, hearing the waves crashing and lapping at my ankles.

One of the benefits of living in Florida is that it's beach weather even in January. Wasn't hot. Kind of sweatshirt weather. But nice. And the crazy thing is that the beaches weren't crowded at all and no problem finding parking close to the beach.

It's like the natives want it steaming hot to come to the beach. To me a cool breeze is nice.

And had an interesting story yesterday. Some of the tennis players often get together on Saturday and we were having typical guy talk, mostly about sports. And somebody pointed to one of the guys I didn't know and said he probably wasn't interested in the conversation. I asked him what he was into. And he said stocks. Turns out he has a formula and said he averaged $28,000 a month last year. And he's 83 and says it's kind of a hobby to give him something to do. He lives a simple life. A 2300 square foot house which is the size of mine and a 16-year-old car.

He hasn't been to Europe in over a decade. I was telling him why aren't you at a bistro in Paris instead of at Panera's. LOL. And he and his wife, married 59 years, have no kids. I told him he could put the Florida Dom Foundation (well I used my real name) in his will. LOL.

Anyway, found it interesting to see a guy with a lot of money living an average middle class lifestyle.

And I had lost 2 1-2 pounds in the last week when I stepped on the scale this morning. I thought if I wrote about it, it would give me more incentive not to slack off. It will be hard to keep up that pace but it is a start.

We'll see if I can keep it up.

FD

11 comments:

  1. It's really nice to hear of someone with a lot of money living modestly. That doesn't seem to happen very often these days. Congratulations on the weight loss, especially right after the holidays! Keep it up (or down). :-)

    love, squirrel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know people who are well off and I think one of the reasons is that they DO live modestly :)

    Congratulations on seeing the scale go down. It's not easy.

    Fondly. Sky

    ReplyDelete
  3. FD several years ago I read Dave Ramsey's financial books, what a life changing experience. While you don't hear about someone living a modest life these days they are out there.

    Congrats on dropping a few numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. squirrel: I think that guy shows that you can be happy without spending a lot of money even if you have it. I really believe that once you have enough money to live a middle class lifestyle with the house, car and can send the kids to college, doubling or tripling your income doesn't necessarily make you more happy. I drive a 1993 car with 205,000 miles on it but it still gets me from A to B the same way a 2012 car would.

    Sky: yes, it is not easy seeing the scale go down. I had lunch with friends and only had a egg salad sandwich and a cup of french onion soup and I was up half a pound this morn. So frustrating. I know I shouldn't get on the scales every day. Oh, well. I thought I walked it off walking the beach.

    Southern Sir: Yes, there are some out there who live modest lives. But then there are people like Tiger Woods' ex who bought a $12 million house and bulldozed it. Unbelieveable.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you on the weight loss FD! I so wish we were in Florida right now...I miss it! As for that guy, I think there are more of them 'out there' than people suspect! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news on the weight loss FD. I think there are a lot more of them out there.

    Did you ask him what his formula was:)

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara: There could be more out there Sara but we don't know about them because they keep a low profile. Seems like somebody wrote a book about the millionaires next door.

    Ronnie: The formula, as he explained is, is that he has a bunch of stocks that he has orders in when they drop 20 per cent. Now how he picks the stocks is a bit complicated. He showed me the list on his phone but I am not into stocks even to understand it all.

    FD

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the weight loss. You can give that guy my name too in case he is looking for beneficiaries.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. sunnygirl: Thank you and I already suggested mine. LOL

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  10. FD,

    I'm so, so jealous. You are so fortunate to be able to walk on the beach:)!

    Not that I'm unhappy...I went walking with three of my children today. The sun was shining and it was chilly, but beautiful.

    Great news that you've lost weight! You can do it!!!

    Love,
    Kitty

    P.S. Please keep us updated on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kitty: Yes, I love walking on the beach. And I just hope I have progress to update you on. Lost a pound playing tennis this morn but was so hungry when I got home, I probably put it back on. LOL.

    FD

    ReplyDelete